A new employment law is coming into force on August 28, 2019 in the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) in Dubai, UAE.*
Are you ready?
Some significant changes include:
- New provisions for secondment to a DIFC-based employer.
- Expanded anti-discrimination provisions, including anti-retaliation provisions, new penalties and a defense requiring the employer to take reasonably practicable steps to prevent the discriminatory act.
- Introduction of new paternity leave rights.
- Payment in lieu of notice will only be available if the employee agrees to the payment in a settlement agreement.
- Recognition of settlement agreements to terminate employment or settle disputes subject to the employee confirming they were given an opportunity to obtain legal advice from a lawyer on the terms and effect of the agreement.
For more, please contact your Baker McKenzie employment lawyer.
* These changes will apply only within the DIFC and not apply to companies operating on shore in Dubai or in one of the other Dubai free zones, which may have conflicting rules.